Can I Work with a Student Visa in Spain?

Reading Time: 3 minutes

If you’re a struggling student wishing you could make some extra money, you’re not alone.

Spain does have a very low cost of living, but there are just so many fun things to do!

However, if you’re going to start searching for a job in Spain, you want to make sure it’s legal. After all, you don’t want to jeopardize the student visa you worked so hard to get.

So, let’s dive into the long answer to your question: can I work with a student visa in Spain?

The short answer is yes!

However, there are stipulations and order to the steps you must take, so follow our guide on working with a Spanish student visa.

Once you’re up-to-date on the rules, you can roll up your sleeves and get to work.

Getting Ready to Work in Spain

This may seem obvious, but let’s make it clear, anyway: the first step to work with a student visa in Spain is to GET a student visa in Spain!

Here’s a complete guide about how to get your student visa process in Spain started.  The steps are simple.

Find a language or university program that interests you, apply, and get in.

From there, figure out which documents you need to show the embassy for your student visa.

Make sure to give yourself ample time for these steps, as they’re the most vital for your entry to Spain.

work with a student visa in Spain
You’ve got to get your ducks in a row before you can start applying for a job in Spain!

Once you’re set up and studying, there are a few more steps to take before you start work with a student visa in Spain.

You’ll need to do some bureaucratic registration after you arrive.

As only citizens from outside the EU require a student visa, they’ll also need to get a TIE.

That will include your Spanish identification number, which employers will need before you start.

How to Work with a Student Visa in Spain

After you get through the paperwork of the Spanish student visa and register in Spain, you’ll be ready to work with a student visa in Spain!

You can work for no more than 4 hours a day, a total of 20 hours per week.

Work hours can’t interfere with any study-related obligations. In the summer, you can work a little more; you can work full-time for up to 3 months!

work with a student visa in Spain
Working with olives or oranges is a great idea for a summer job in Spain.

Looking for a job in Spain is another topic, which we cover in this guide to find a job in Spain.

Keep an eye out for job opportunities on your university campus or study organization. They may even give you a study credit for working with them!

Things to Keep in Mind About Working in Spain

  • Study-abroad students from EU/EEA countries don’t need a student visa to enter, study, or work in Spain. However, they will need to register for the NIE to start a job.
  • Young people on the working holiday visa have different requirements to work in Spain.
  • Study-abroad visas in Spain are granted for periods of more than 90 days, so obviously you will need a residence permit for at least this amount of time.

Share this article

Go! Go! España

Search articles

Popular posts

Do you want to Live and Study in Spain?

We’ve already helped more than 5000 students from all over the world and we provide support in several languages.

Go! Go! España Blog

Related articles

Contact us

Any questions? We are here to help

🎌 Join our next Webinar!

Next session → How to live and study in Japan: Info and Q&A