How to Get a Spanish Driver License

Reading Time: 3 minutes

There are countless places to visit in Spain, so it’s good to get a Spanish driver license if you’re into adventuring!

Many of Spain’s most charming towns are off the beaten track and they can be hard to reach with public transportation.

If you really want to travel around Spain but you see that there are no high-speed trains going to your destination, try driving!

After you get your Spanish driver license, of course. Keep reading to find out who needs to get a driver’s license in Spain and how to get one.

How to Get a Spanish Driver License: EU/EEA-citizens

The minimum age for driving in Spain is 18, like most other European countries.

People from countries with lower driving age limits won’t be allowed to drive here!

If you’re from an EU or EEA country, you can use the driver’s license from your home country for 2 years without switching to a Spanish driver license.

However, you must register with the “Registro Central de Conductores e Infractores” within your first 6 months in Spain.

After registering, you’ll need to complete a medical exam to make sure you’re healthy enough for safe driving in Spain! After two years, you’ll need to apply for a Spanish driver license (or face huge fines).

spanish driver license
Make sure you’ve got permission to drive before you plan a Spanish road trip!

To apply for the Spanish driver license, EU/EEA-country citizens need to take the following documents to the “Jefatura Provincial de Tráfico” to get your Spanish license:

  • An application form
  • Valid passport/national identity card
  • Your NIE
  • Current valid driver’s license
  • Two small passport photos
  • A signed declaration that you have not been banned or suspended from driving
  • A signed declaration that you do not hold a driver’s license in another country

How to Get a Spanish Driver License: Citizens from Outside the EU

If you’re from a country outside of the EU, you can use your native driver’s license for up to 6 months without hassle.

The 6-month period begins from the moment you apply for your TIE.

However, if your driver’s license was not issued in a Spanish-speaking country, you need to keep an official translation or International Driver’s Permit (IDP) with you.

The IDP should be acquired before entering Spain. With your valid driver’s license and an official translation/IDP, you can drive in Spain!

spanish driver license
Driving in Spain is beautiful but make sure you pay attention to the signs!

After 6 months, your native driver’s license needs to be exchanged for a Spanish driver license.

Citizens from the following countries can apply to exchange their license in the same way EU citizens can: Andorra, Algeria, Andorra, Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Dominical Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Japan, Macedonia, Morocco, Nicaragua, Peru, Panama, Paraguay, Philippines, Serbia, South Korea, Switzerland, Turkey, Tunisia, Ukraine, Uruguay and Venezuela.

Find out which documents you’ll need by checking with your country’s embassy or consulate in Spain.

As for all other countries, you must take the Spanish driving test to get your driving license here!

Americans, Canadians, New Zealanders and Australians are amongst the people who have to take the test.

In order to take the driving test in Spain, you must first take a course at a driving school.

There, they’ll prepare you for the written theory part of the test as well as the practical test.

These tests are in Spanish, so make sure you use lots of resources to sharpen your Spanish before you go! Good luck and happy driving! 😊

Share this article

Go! Go! España

Search articles

Popular posts

Do you want to Live and Study in Spain?

We’ve already helped more than 5000 students from all over the world and we provide support in several languages.

Go! Go! España Blog

Related articles

Contact us

Any questions? We are here to help

🎌 Join our next Webinar!

Next session → How to live and study in Japan: Info and Q&A