How to get into University in Spain

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Spain is one of the most popular destinations in the world to study abroad, with rising numbers of foreign students every year.

The Spanish education system is of a high standard and well organized, the cost of living is one of the lowest in Europe, and tuition fees are among the most reasonable.

So, how can you get into university in Spain? Quite simply, actually!

The first thing you will need to do to apply to a university in Spain is complete an application form and provide relevant documentation to substantiate your identity and qualifications.

Admission requirements to get into university in Spain are simpler and quicker for EU nationals than non-EU nationals, but the procedure for both is straightforward and very manageable.

How to get into University in Spain for EU nationals

EU nationals can apply to access university in Spain via the Spanish National University of Distance Education (UNED) website and a form known as the ‘Solicitud de Inscripcion’.

If accepted, the necessary stamp of approval in the form of a ‘Credencial de Acceso’ will be sent out within three months and this must then be forwarded on to your university of choice.

Anyone from a non Spanish-speaking country of origin will also need to show official certification of their knowledge of the Spanish language according to the Common European Framework of References for Languages.

To do this they will be required to sit the DELE exams which are certified by Spain’s official language institute El instituto Cervantes.

How to get into University in Spain

How to get into University in Spain for Non-EU nationals

Non-EU nationals who want to get into university in Spain face the additional requirements to have their high school certificates officially validated, sit entrance exams, and attain a student visa.

You can get your high school certificates validated online through The Spanish Ministry of Education or through a Spanish Embassy or Consulate and, if all is in order, you will receive a ‘Volante Acreditativo’.

There are two types of entrance exams for non-EU nationals to access university in Spain: PCE and EBAU. Some universities require PCE exams and others EBAU, so you need to first check with the university.

Before applying for your Student Visa you must already be admitted to an authorized educational center for a full-time program.

Once everything is in order and you have been formally accepted by your university, you can apply for a Student Visa at a Spanish Embassy or Consulate.

You will be required to show you have sufficient economic means to cover the expenses of your stay and the return to your country of origin, you must have adequate medical insurance and a medical certificate and show a clean criminal record.

If you need any help at all to get into university in Spain, please get in touch and we will be happy to support you every step of the way.

Share this article

Go! Go! España

Search articles

Popular posts

Do you want to Live and Study in Spain?

We’ve already helped more than 5000 students from all over the world and we provide support in several languages.

Go! Go! España Blog

Related articles

Contact us

Any questions? We are here to help

🎌 Join our next Webinar!

Next session → How to live and study in Japan: Info and Q&A