Homologation (Homologación in Spanish) is the procedure for recognizing foreign qualifications in Spain.

This is carried out by the Spanish Ministry of Education, ascertaining the level that grades attained in other countries are equivalent to in Spanish education.

Let’s take a look at how this process works and when you will need to use it.

Foreign Qualifications in Spain – Homologation

You will need to get recognition of your foreign qualifications in Spain if you plan to study in a Spanish school or institution or to work in Spain in a professional field in Spain (e.g. doctor, lawyer, civil servant) that requires academic credentials.

We understand this kind of bureaucratic procedure can be challenging and time-consuming, you can contact us here if you would like us to take care of it on your behalf!

How do you Homologate a Degree in Spain?

You should be aware that there are two kinds of Homologation:

1. You can have your qualifications assessed to recognize the equivalent academic level in Spain.

This Homologation procedure will take around 6-8 months and is the recommended form of Homologation if you simply require proof that you have achieved a certain level of academic achievement.

You will receive confirmation that your qualifications are of a similar level to Spanish qualifications, but your qualifications will not be aligned to specific Spanish qualifications.

2. You can have your specific foreign qualifications aligned to specific Spanish qualifications and officially recognized in Spain.

This is a slightly longer Homologation procedure, taking around a year to complete, but is the preferred option if you are studying or working in a specific field and your school or institution requires aligned qualifications.

Foreign qualifications in Spain

The Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport

You can apply for recognition of your foreign qualifications in Spain in either The Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport or through the Spanish embassy or consulate in your home country.

Applying through the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport is recommended as the MECD is responsible for authorizing recognition.

You can use the MECD website or apply via one of the registries in Madrid. You will be required to complete an application form and pay a small fee.

To apply for a Homologation in Spain you will need:

• A certified copy of your passport or another official identification document
• A certified copy of your certificate of qualification from your home country