There has been an important recent change in the law (Oct. 2018) that now permits persons from outside of the European Union to apply for a student visa in Spain.

Previously if you were a student from outside of the EU you could only apply for your visa through the Spanish consulate of your home country, but as of now you can also apply whilst you are in Spain.

Citizens of the European Union do not require a visa to study in Spain, but all non-European Union citizens who wish to study in Spain for more than 90 days do need a visa.

If you are interested in coming to Spain to study, wherever you may live, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to advise you further about your visa.

You can also check the most complete guide to get a student visa in Spain here.

Get a Student Visa in Spain

So, to repeat, if you are a non- EU citizen planning to come to Spain, or you are already in Spain, and you want to study for more than 90 days you can now get your student visa whilst you are in Spain. However, there are various requirements that you will need to be aware of.

Apply for a Student Visa in Spain

Firstly, you must be admitted on a full-time course with an authorized Spanish school or institution.

You might be coming to Spain, for example, to study Spanish, a Bachelor’s or a Master’s Degree, but you will need to find an officially recognized place to study otherwise your visa will not be granted.

Other conditions to apply for a student visa in Spain are as follows:

• You must be in Spain legally.
• You must apply during the first 60 days that you are in Spain or at least 30 days before you are due to leave Spain.
• You must have your own valid medical insurance.
• You must prove that you are able to support yourself financially during your stay in Spain.
• You must not be a citizen of the European Union.

Again, if you are unsure about any of these requirements, please contact us and we will do our best to help.

It is always recommendable to check with a lawyer if you are doubtful about specific details.

Please also be aware that any student visa granted will be of the same duration as the course the student is enrolled to study. So, for example, if you are enrolled in a one-year course, you will be granted a one-year visa.

You will need the following documents to apply for a student visa in Spain:

• Completed EX-00 form.
• Passport.
• School acceptance letter.
Health insurance.
• Evidence of funds.
• City Hall registration (“empadronamiento”).

For stays over 180 days you will also need:

• Police Criminal Record clearance.
• Medical Certificate.

We know the Student Visa application procedure is not simple, that’s why we partner with a Spanish immigration lawyer that can apply for the visa in Spain on your behalf so you don’t need to worry about anything.

Please contact us here if you would like to use the professional legal services of a Spanish law firm.