How to get a Work Authorization in Spain on a Student Visa

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Foreign students studying in Spain will very often consider getting a part-time job to boost their finances and better get to know the locals and the local culture and language.

Let’s take a look at how to get work authorization in Spain on a Student Visa.

Work Authorization as a student in Spain

1.  Requirements

It is not difficult to obtain work authorization in Spain on a Student Visa, but it is vital to do so as it is illegal for foreign students to work in Spain solely with a student visa or student card.

The requirements are as follows:

  • You must be registered in the Spanish social security system (more details below).
  • With work authorization in Spain as a student you are permitted to work, usually up to 20 hours per week (4 hours per day) alongside your studies. Full-time work is also permitted, but only for a period of 3 months maximum and only during study breaks.
  • Any work should not interfere with your studies.
  • You must still have enough funds to support yourself for the duration of your studies whether you work or not.
  • You must have the appropriate training and qualifications required for the work.
  • You should have a formal contract in writing with your employer.

2. Documents & Procedure to work in Spain as a student

Originals should be shown when applying for work Authorization in Spain on a Student Visa and copies should be made to be handed in with the application.

The  documents required to get a work authorization in Spain are as follows:

  • Application form EX-12 fully completed and signed by the employer.
  • Up-to-date passport or other official travel documents.
  • Documentation proving any professional qualifications and training required by the post.
  • Documentation to show that the work will be compatible with studies.
  • Documentation proving you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your entire stay in Spain regardless of whether you work or not.

An appointment should be made at the Immigration Office of the province where you hope to work. This is where you will hand in your completed and signed application form EX-12 along with copies of all the other required documents.

Work Authorization in Spain for EU students

If you are an EU citizen, you are allowed to study and work in Spain as you would in your home country.

However, you will need to organize is your NIE (Número de Identidad de Extranjero) when in Spain.

This is basically an identification number for foreigners that will be required for tax and national insurance reasons.

To obtain a NIE you will need to visit your local immigration office (La Oficina de Extranjeros) and complete a form, show your passport, show evidence of your address in Spain, and also show evidence of the reason for your stay in Spain (letter of acceptance from school or university, job contract, etc).

Work Authorization in Spain on a Student Visa oficina de extranjeros

Work Authorization in Spain for Non-EU students

Non-EU citizens can apply for work permission in Spain on a Student Visa until the expiry of their student visa.

Non-EU citizens will need to obtain a NIE and a TIE Residence Card. TIE stands for Tarjeta de Identidad Extranjero and will be provided in the form of a biometric card containing all of the person’s identity details. The NIE number will be included in the TIE Card.

To obtain work authorization in Spain as a student, non-EU citizens should visit their local immigration office (La Oficina de Extranjeros) which is usually located in police stations.

We are here to help!

Go! Go! España has years of experience helping foreign students come to Spain to study and work.

Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you would like any assistance at all with getting Work Authorization in Spain on a Student Visa.

Share this article

Go! Go! España

Search articles

Popular posts

Do you want to Live and Study in Spain?

We’ve already helped more than 5000 students from all over the world and we provide support in several languages.

Go! Go! España Blog

Related articles

Contact us

Any questions? We are here to help

🎌 Join our next Webinar!

Next session → How to live and study in Japan: Info and Q&A