How to Study at the University in Spain

Reading Time: 2 minutes
Spanish and Italian Similarities

Spain is an attractive destination for foreign students.

Its rich culture and history, relaxed lifestyle, low living costs, and tuition fees, and high-quality education system are all great reasons to study at the university in Spain.

If you would like to study at the university in Spain, please get in touch and we will be happy to help you with all stages of your application.

Assuming you already know what you wish to study, the next step is to choose your university.

Go! Go! España works closely with many excellent Spanish universities and we can point you in the direction of universities that offer your chosen course.

How to Study at the University in Spain

Then it’s a matter of completing relevant forms compiling required documentation, and preparing for entrance exams.

Study at the University in Spain ID

Application Process to study at the university in Spain

All students will need to submit identity documentation (passport, ID card) and school leaving certificates.

And all students from non-Spanish speaking countries of origin will need to show official certification of their knowledge of the Spanish language according to the Common European Framework of References for Languages.

The application process to study at the university in Spain for EU students is quicker than for non-EU students.

You can apply in April via the Spanish National University of Distance Education (UNED) website and you will find out if your application has been successful within three months.

The application process for non-EU students is longer and should be planned further in advance.

Depending on specific circumstances it can take up to twelve months and non-EU students are required to have their high school certificates officially validated, attain a student visa, and sit entrance exams.

Study at the university in Spain: Homologación

Non-EU students are required to have their high school certificates validated by a process known as Homologación (Homologation) which ascertains the level grades are equivalent to in Spanish education.

You can organise this in either The Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport or through the Spanish embassy or consulate in your home country.

You will need to provide identification documents and high school certificates, complete an application form and pay a small fee.

University in Spain: Student Visas

EU students are not required to have a visa to study at the university in Spain.

Non-EU students who are planning to study in Spain for longer than ninety days need to organize a student visa and it takes four to eight weeks to process this application.

If you would like any assistance at all in applying for a student visa, please get in touch.

Go! Go! España partners with a Spanish immigration lawyer that can apply for the Student Visa on your behalf.

How to study at the university in Spain: Entrance Exams

Non-EU students are also required to sit exams to be accepted into a Spanish University.

There are two types of entrance exams to study at the university in Spain, PCE and EBAU.

Some universities ask their students to sit the PCE exams and others the EBAU exams.

It is necessary to check with your university of choice and find out which entrance exam they require.

Share this article

Go! Go! España

Search articles

Popular posts

Do you want to Live and Study in Spain?

We’ve already helped more than 5000 students from all over the world and we provide support in several languages.

Go! Go! España Blog

Related articles

Contact us

Any questions? We are here to help

🎌 Join our next Webinar!

Next session → How to live and study in Japan: Info and Q&A