How to Come to Spain with Your Family

Reading Time: 6 minutes

If you’re a non-European citizen living in Spain, and you’ve ever asked the question ‘how can I bring my family to Spain with me?’ you’ve come to the right place.

If you’re legally able to reside in Spain, but you want your family to be there with you, you’re in luck.

The same goes for those who live in a different country but want to join their family member living in Spain.

There are a few visa options available depending on your specific circumstances.

From student visas to family reunification visas, keep reading as we guide you through what types of visas exist to bring families together in Spain.

Family Visas for Spain

There are a few different visa types that allow you to come to Spain with your family.

These visas include:

  1. Family reunification visas
  2. Student visas
  3. Spouse visas

Requirements for each will vary depending on which family member or members will be accompanying you.

However, the main documentation needed will remain similar to most other visa types, with just a few discrepancies.

To begin, let’s go over what you need for the family reunification visa (reagrupación familiar).

1. Family Reunification Visa in Spain

Any relative hoping to visit their non-European Union family member living in Spain will need a family reunification visa.

Relatives eligible to apply for this type of visa include:

  • Civil partnerships
  • Dependent children
  • Parents over the age of 65

This visa type remains valid for a specific length of time, which depends on the family member already located in Spain.

Family visas for Spain

Timelines and Documentation

For example, perhaps you’re staying with a family member who holds a temporary residence permit.

If that residence permit is good for one year, your family reunification visa remains good for that year.

Alternately, maybe you’re staying with a family member who has a long-term residence permit.

If so, your visa will expire the date your family member’s TIE card expires.

The family member who currently has Spanish residency must initiate the visa application process.

You will need to complete this step at the local Spanish embassy or consulate.

If this is you, you will need to present the following documents to your local Foreigner’s Office in Spain:

  • Copy of passport and your family member’s passport
  • Copy of your TIE
  • Proof of relationship
  • Evidence that you can financially support your family
  • Adequate health insurance
  • Evidence of living situation such as a rental contract

After approval, your family member then has a 60-day window in which to apply for a visa in their home country.

Here it may be required to conduct an interview in which they will present the following:

  • Current passport
  • Proof of relationship (birth certificate or marriage certificate)
  • Clean criminal record
  • Medical certificate

Upon approval of the family reunification visa, the family member has 90 days from date of approval to join their relative in Spain.

Additional Eligibility

This visa type also allows children ages 18 to 21 to relocate to Spain under a family reunification visa.

However, children of this age must provide proof that they are dependent on family.

In addition, children of this age must also prove they have enrolled in a course of academic study such as a course for a university degree.

2. Spain’s Student Visa

Current student visa holders can also have their family join them during their time in Spain.

Certain requirements must be met if a family member wishes to join the student visa holder in Spain.

Conditions include:

  • Proof of sufficient financial resources
  • Evidence must be provided of relationship
  • You can reside in Spain legally for at least 180 days

Those who wish to obtain a student visa must ensure their studies are conducted at a 20-hour per week minimum.

For those student visa holders hoping to come to Spain with family, immediate family members only are allowed to be brought to Spain.

Studies in Spain

For students with courses that might run over a 6-month period, student visas will need to be obtained.

These courses include everything from kindergarten classes up through bachelor’s and master’s university degree programs.

Those attending language schools such as La Aventura Española or Academia Contacto would also need to obtain a student visa as courses run anywhere from 3 months to 12 months.

In addition, student visas also apply to those who will need to complete their studies at the primary and secondary grade levels.

College preparatory courses like those at Costa de Valencia and Academia Guiu also provide intensive course pathways that require students to obtain a student visa.

Keep in mind that if your courses for any of these run for over a 6-month period, both you and your accompanying family members will need to apply for a TIE.

This process must be completed within the first 30 days of your arrival in Spain.

If you find that your studies might last longer than a 1-year time period, you and your family member(s) want to start the process for an extension of your visas.

To ensure your family member has the best chance at a visa approval, appropriate documentation must be submitted.

Documents include:

  • Visa application form
  • Copy of passport
  • Passport photos
  • Medical certificate
  • Confirmation of health coverage
  • Criminal record check

Visa application documents go through the closest appropriate Consular Office in the resident’s city.

Our immigration lawyer can help you apply for a student visa on your behalf!

Academy Guiu - College Preparatory school in Barcelona

3. Spain’s Spouse Visa

Sometimes referred to as the unmarried partner visa, this is another visa type that allows you to come to Spain with your family.

Documentation for this visa type is similar to a standard visa, but copies of marriage certificates will need to be included in your application.

Documents include:

  • Application
  • Passport copy
  • Passport photos
  • Proof of residence
  • Valid residence card
  • Proof of income
  • Clear criminal record certificate
  • Medical certificate

You must submit the application for this type of visa in person at your local consular office.

The person who holds the Spanish residence permit will be the one to submit said application.

How to Apply for Your Spain Family Visa

From the family reunification visa for Spain to spouse visas, there are a number of ways you can come to Spain with your family.

Because there are some discrepancies between the visa types, it’s a good idea to confirm details and necessary documentation with your local consular office before applying.

Have as much of your documentation ready to go to make sure you submit everything for a smooth approval process.

Required documents will generally include the following:

  • Visa application
  • Copy of current passport
  • Current passport photos
  • Copy of resident’s current residence card (TIE)
  • Proof of familial relationship
  • Check of criminal records
  • Accreditation of medical health
  • Proof of residence in home country
  • Payment for visa application

Always remember that any foreign documentation submitted with your application needs to be legalized or apostilled before submission.

You should generally receive word on your visa on whether or not its been accepted or denied within a 2-month window.

If an interview or additional documentation is needed after submission, you will be notified by the Consular Office to which you submitted your application.

The family reunification visa remains valid for a 90-day window.

Upon your, or your family member’s, arrival in Spain, be sure to also apply for the Foreigner Identification Card within the first 30 days.

Ready to Come to Spain with Your Family?

As outlined above, there are various visa types that make it possible to come to Spain with your family.

Thanks to these various visa types, you and your family can enjoy all that Spain has to offer together.

You’ll want to apply to which visa best fits your specific situation.

As always, here at Go! Go! España, we’re here to make this process as seamless as possible for you.

If you have questions which visa is right for you, please contact our team today.

We partner with a Spanish immigration lawyer that can help you complete your visa application without hassle.

We also offer a variety of additional benefits like support with university applications, accommodation assistance, and more.

With our help, we want to make it easy to come to Spain with your family, and enjoy all that this beautiful country has to offer.

Don’t hesitate to let us know if you’d like to start your visa application – we look forward to helping you and your family reunite in Spain!

Share this article

Go! Go! España

Search articles

Popular posts

Learn Spanish
Life in Spain

Do you want to Live and Study in Spain?

We’ve already helped more than 5000 students from all over the world and we provide support in several languages.

Go! Go! España Blog

Related Articles

Are you traveling to Spain soon but require regular prescription medication? If so, you might be wondering how to bring medication to Spain. It’s important to know how to travel with medications so you don’t encounter any issues upon arrival. All it takes is a little bit of extra preparation. Can I Bring Medication to...
Finding homes for rent in Spain might seem difficult. Even more so if you’re also finishing up a university application, organizing travel paperwork, and brushing up on your Spanish. We’re here to let you know that the process is a little bit easier than you might think! We’ve created a guide that will help you...

Contact us

Any questions? We are here to help